The Society for the Philosophical Study of Education (SPSE) is an international association that connects scholars who are interested in topics which approach the field of education from a philosophical perspective in the widest sense, such as:
- educational history and philosophy
- critical theories and pedagogies
- philosophies of teaching, learning and knowing
- non-western philosophies of education
- educational reform in theory and practice
- social (re)construction and education
- technology and education
- evidence and assessment
- disciplines and disciplinarily
SPSE was founded on November 10th, 1975 in Chicago and continues to host an annual conference. This society brings together a community of people who are enthusiastic about philosophically orientated topics related to education and encourages a thoughtful exchange of ideas in a welcoming environment.
SPSE also hosts a peer-reviewed journal, the Journal of the Philosophical Study of Education (JPSE).
- President: Scott Cunningham, Texas Tech University
- Vice President: Sabrina Bacher, University of Oklahoma